Causes of Death Register
The Causes of Death Register collects data on all deaths occurred in Estonia and all deaths of Estonian residents who have died outside Estonia.
Why is the register needed?
The aim of the register is to collect and process data on causes of death for national social policy planning, assessment of population structure and health status, and planning prevention activities.
What data do we collect?
- Personal data of the deceased
- Causes and circumstances of death
- Socio-demographic data of the deceased (education, last place of residence, nationality, etc.)
- Data on the underlying documents and certifiers
Who provide the data?
All doctors and forensic doctors who have established the death are obliged to provide the data. The socio-demographic data of the deceased are provided by the Estonian Population Register.
Publication of data
- Health Statistics database of the National Institute for Health Development
- Statistics Estonia database
- International databases